The Red Tape Commission is designed to identify solutions to ongoing challenges faced by NYC business owners. While many elected officials have approached this endeavor from the top-down perspective, with policy reports developed internally, Comptroller Stringer wants the lived experience of business owners to inform the solutions, not the other way around.
To that end, the core of the Commission will be a series of five hearings -one in each borough- designed to give business owners an opportunity to tell their stories and connect with Comptroller's staff on particular issues of concern. The hearings may focus on particular industries or issues, however the ultimate direction will be guided by the insight and opinions of the Commission members.
The Commission is Co-Chaired by Jessica Lappin, President of the Alliance for Downtown New York and Michael Lambert, Executive Director, Bed-Stuy Gateway BID.
- Antoinette Balzano, Owner, Totonno's Pizzeria
- Linda Baran, President and CEO, Staten Island Chamber of Commerce
- Raphael Baccus Benavides, President, East Harlem Merchants Association, Executive Director Poet's Den Theater and Gallery
- Ken Biberaj, Chairman, Manhattan Chamber of Commerce
- Jonathan Bowles, Executive Director, Center for an Urban Future
- Lenny Caro, President and CEO, Bronx Chamber of Commerce
- Melissa Chapman, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
- Honorable Robert Cornegy, Jr., Council Menber, New York City Council
- Eric Dembly, Co-Founder, Brooklyn Flea
- Charles DeStefano, Law Office of Charles C. DeStefano
- Tamara Greenfield, Co-Director, Naturally Occurring Cultural Districts New York (NOCDNY)
- Dr. Roy Hastcick, Sr., Executive Director, Caribbean American Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc.
- Peter How, President, Asian American Restaurant Association
- Deb Howard, Executive Director, Pratt Area Community Council
- Jill Johnson, Chief Executive Officer, Workshops in Business Opportunities (WIBO); Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership (IFEL)
- Manu Kapoor, President, Indian Business Association, Inc.
- Marc Landis, Managing Partner, Phillips Nizzer LLP
- Jonathan Lovitz, Executive Director, National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce New York
- Ngozi Okaru, Interim Executive Director, Project Enterprise
- Rommy Pennella, Executive Director, New York Hispanic Cosmetology and Beauty Chamber of Commerce
- Andrew Rigie, Executive Director, New York City Hospitality Alliance
- Paul Slee, Executive Director, Ensemble Studio Theater
- Justin Yu, Chairman, Chinese Chamber of Commerce of New York